Monday, August 21, 2006

PolishPostal Race Report - Marysville OH

Ok, after doing this race I'm thinking of modifying the title of my blog from "... off the front" to "... out the back". So, I get my CAT 4 upgrade earlier this week and decide that I'll break it in right. By doing the 4 race... no. I have the brilliant idea to do the 3-4 race instead. Tony is going for the overall in the Cyclebration series and I figure that maybe I'll be able to help him out a bit.

So Tony, Will and I are flying the Nationwide colors with several other teams represented. Raisin Rack was by far the best represented with 8+ riders. With this being my first race outside of the 5's I have to admit that I was pretty nervous. Ideally, I would be able to hang and do something to aid Tony. Worst case I finish last or crash.

The course was around a city block in Marysville. Two of the streets had fairly new pavement, smooth and fast. The two others might as well been cobbles. They had broken pavement and potholes.

The race gets underway. I'm lined up very near the back with the initial plan to stay out of the way and hang on for dear life. Within the first 30 seconds we are crusing at 26mph. I was hoping that riding with the 3's there would be much smoother cornering. I'm sure it was smoother but there was still quite a bit of braking. While riding on the back I would let a gap open in front of me entering the corners. This allowed me to carry more speed throught the corners and avoid the accelerations after every corner. I'm sure that toward the front of the peleton the pace was much steadier.

It didn't take long (45 seconds to be exact) for my heartrate to surpass my lactate threshold HR of 164bpm. From this point on my HR dropped below 160 only twice. My maximum HR is 183bpm. I spent 45% of the race above 170bpm (93% of my max, this is better know as "The Hurt Box"). Really I wasn't hurting too bad but I didn't have anything left for accelerations.

Back to the race.... I was able to avoid being shelled for 15 laps of the 40. The race consisted of cornering at 20-22mph then accelerating to 28-30mph, repeated 4 times per lap. There were several attacks that were easily brought back. Tony made his way to the front before I got shelled and took some very stong pulled to up the pace. Will even went off the front and stayed away for a couple of laps. Giving Tony a little time to sit in.

After getting shelled I tried to continue with a decent pace. My goal at this point was to avoid being lapped and to pick off as many other dropped riders as I could. I fought as long as I could but after 10 or so more laps I was caught. I tried to stay out of the way and latch back on. That lasted a few laps but I was shelled yet again.

Coming around solo with 11 laps to go shown on the board the official shouts to me "one lap to go". Huh?? It was starting to get dark so I figure that they are cutting the race short. I wanted to see the finish so I just pull off and roll back to the start finish line. The leaders are coming to the line but no one is sprinting, they get the 10 to go. I'm not sure what was up with that. Maybe he was telling me that I was going to get pulled in one more lap. If I wouldn't have gotten spit out the back I wouldn't have had to worry about that.

In the last 10 laps the pace picks up a bit. With about 3 to go, Jim Matson (Raisin Rack) goes off the front. Several chase including Tony. The field is now lined out for the next couple of laps as they brought Matson back fairly quickly. Coming to the bell (last lap) Tony attacks hard out of the fourth turn. He gets about 50 meters by the line and holds that lead and then some through the final lap to the finish.

That was a very impressive win by Tony after being grossly out numbered by Raisin Rack. I'm trying to be realistic about my results from the race. After downloading my data I don't think that I could have pushed any harder. My average HR was 168bpm. I am sure that I could have raced much smarter and with it only being my second crit my cornering could use some work. With my performance and watching Tony dominate it inspired me to train harder. I'll get there.

I've read several rider comments from 3's that were in the race and they commented on how fast this race was. So that makes we a little more accepting of the fact that I got shelled hard.

No comments: